History: Deering Meadow provides more than two acres of green space between Deering Library and Sheridan Road. The meadow was known as Campus Meadow from 1870 until the construction of Deering Library in 1933. It was the site of the first Northwestern football field and early Commencement ceremonies and has long been a gathering place for informal recreation, concerts, and rallies. In 1898 a wrought-iron fence was installed along the perimeter of the campus. While the fence was later removed, a section of it west of Deering Meadow along Sheridan Road was restored in 1994 with a commemorative plaque.